Friday 22 June 2018

Life style change - delayed?

Lifestyle change delayed?
I’ve been making a lot of lifestyle changes – mostly to try and combat my autoimmune disorder holistically. I was tired of feeling sick, fatigued and controlled by an illness I didn’t want. You’ve seen a lot of growth already in my ability to organize my day and build my skills in the gym and at uni. However, despite these changes some days I am delayed in my progress.

While working on my next lifestyle change ‘ attending lectures ‘ I experienced cold. Which to the new reader will sound strange for me to mention. I currently have cold induced urticaria, or a cold allergy. Don’t worry if you’ve never heard of this before, I hadn’t until I was diagnosed and even now it seems a little wacky.
Before class I’d gone to the gym and showered afterwards. I always have a jacket on me but being a sunny day I only brought a light one and a cap to keep my warm – why draw attention to yourself if it’s not necessary right?
Straight after the gym I shot out the doors and started wandering around campus trying to find my first class of the day. In hindsight I should’ve remembered the Australian way, warm on the outside means freezing on the inside. Whenever there’s warm weather we all crank up the airconditioning. Which makes for a great safe haven for the average person – and I am by no means trying to change anyone’s AC habit – but for a cold allergy…it can spell disaster.
By the time I reached my room the few flecks of shower water still left on me from my fast towelling off had made themselves known as the light breeze came past. I was so keen to make this class I just ignored it thinking that once I was inside I’d be protected and fine.
Being that it was a warm day inside the AC was on high. Long story short, because I really don’t want to tell you how long I sat there – I ended up hurrying home early from the class, with red rashes on my hands, legs and stomach because I didn’t want anyone to think I was weak. The whole class slowly became more painful, definitely not because of the subject, but because I’d screwed up in remembering to take care of myself.
Lifestyle changes are meant to be a marathon. There will be days when change is so easy, you have so much stamina, that you don’t need to pause for breath. But in that same marathon, there will be times when even drawing air into your lungs is painful.
If you’re following a 2018 lifestyle change with me – I am super excited for you! Join me on Instagram and twitter in this 2018 change, but don’t try to keep pace. Some days I’ll be lagging behind, struggling because of something as stupid as airconditioning – and somedays I’ll be sprinting ahead. Everyone has their own unique challenges that will take time to overcome. Relax and trust that little by little we’ll make a permanent change.
If you’d like to join me on my lifestyle journey then you can connect with me on Instagram, tumblr, twitter or facebook!
Instagram: the_underage_lawyer
Tumblr: theunderagelawyer.tumblr.com
Twitter: @underagelawyer
Facebook: @theunderagelawyer



No comments:

Post a Comment