Wednesday 22 February 2017

Legal face; The Clerkship Chronicles




Hello everyone! Another installment to ‘the clerkship chronicles’ you can read the other installment on this series by selecting the title on the side bar. I wanted to talk today about embarrassment, and a recent episode I had in the office with one of the top solicitors in th
messy, files, office, law, lawblr
Trust me - these files are barely
a quarter of what's there
e city.

Embarrassment is the curse of a legal junior. It does not matter whether you do something right, wrong or in between; you will wake up at one o’clock in the morning wondering why on earth you did that thing. It’s guaranteed that at least once you’ll spend the entire night reading as many articles you can get your hands on so that you never look that dumb again.

I spend much time in my senior’s office where we are meeting clients, colleagues and other legal personnel. It is an unusual experience because his office is stuffed with books, paper, and memorabilia. I would liken it to a dragon’s den of treasure – but I do not think he would appreciate the reference! So, I will not mention it, and instead say that he uses an abstract filing system.

Back to task, I, usually, am tucked in a corner of his office pouring over a client’s file or a legal tome. Everyone knows how much I love to be surrounded by books and I don’t bother to unload one book off my lap and pick up another – especially when I’m in the middle of a paper trail.

This crazy method of filing papers and stacking books is fine until someone comes in to visit. If they are staying long enough, it is pretty hard to pretend I don’t exist. So, I introduce myself, or they introduce themselves – either way, you better be prepared for some awkward shuffling.

To extract myself from the immense pile of papers and law books that are sitting on my lap, I have found that I have to scoop my hips up and then cradle the papers on my lap with one hand. If not done in a fluid motion we can have a cascade of highlighters, papers and heavy textbooks hitting the floor. This is such an awkward experience – as I then have to dart about the office trying to stop the other piles of books and files from being knocked over. It’s a bit of a whack-a-mole situation.

Universities may encourage group work
- but I can see some advantages to self study!
One time I was introduced to one of the top solicitors in the city. It was very exciting, and of course, my coordinated-self did not ‘grip’ the books before I stood up. The books flew from beneath my fingers, and my feet were covered in pens and various loose handouts before I knew it. Of course, with the world being as it is – murphy’s law applied and three other piles tipped over right next to him. Safe to say, the carpet was well hidden from view.

Social etiquette books are split on what to do when you drop something. Some suggest that you should wait for an appropriate moment before you attempt to gather what you can while others suggest that you clear the mess up immediately and apologize for your clumsiness.

Well, that’s a lot of help. In these situations, you’re basically on your own – so I’d recommend taking your cue from someone else. At least if you both do the wrong thing it feels a lot less awkward.

You may now be wondering how I reacted to completely destroying the precarious filing system that existed within my senior’s office – while standing in front of a very important lawyer. Well…over the past few months, I seem to have developed what I like to call ‘legal face.’ It is not an attractive thing to have, trust me, but it is a real thing. It is where something happens, be it funny, sad, shocking or embarrassing and you revert to an immediate frown. Except it’s not a small frown – think a grumpy cat combined with a smirk. If you’re really curious look at this.  

All in all - I'd earned some time to read
in the sun.
Naturally, at this moment all three of the people in the office, including myself, could not fathom whether this moment was funny or embarrassing-  and a uniform ‘legal face’ was the only appropriate reaction. – Why anyone bothers watching suits when there are far better ways to display the humorous realities of the legal profession I don’t know.  

After several tedious moments of pointedly ignoring the mess I had created, he shook my hand and sat down, as did I. The mess on the floor remained steadfastly ignored until he and my senior both left to get a file. Then I madly gathered them up, all the while wishing I had not chosen that day to wear my soft pink blush, because my face looked like a baby flamingo.  


I cannot pitch in on the social etiquette side of the equation – but to all future law students, be prepared. However agile and dexterous you are at home, forget about it under pressure. Possibly not the most positive message – but if I told you that you were never going to make an embarrassing mistake again when you started a clerkship I’d be a serious liar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment