Thursday 12 November 2015

Are you struggling? Great!

Welcome back, I took a break to focus on taking my exams – and I hope those of you who were or are doing them are making/made the most of it. I know I have lots of readers from America and Europe that are just getting started on their exam season. So Good Luck to all of you and I hope that you can find some good study tips and motivation on this blog!

The first half of my exam season is over now,



and high school is officially behind me as I have completed my final high school exam. I started a studyblr during my exam time, which I know sounds like a waste of time but actually, it helped me.

Firstly, what is a studyblr?

It's a blog, (usually on tumblr but also found on other social media sites such as instagram) that focuses only on studying.

Why did it help you?

Well to be honest the study-community on tumblr is the most friendly, supportive and caring group I've seen on a social media platform. I've seen blog posts with individuals helping each other with homework, millions of messages of encouragement, well wishes and random compliments. The kind of friendly social interaction is unprecedented and all of it is great motivation to continue studying.

As a naturally competitive person I was surprised to find that I didn't feel motivated to 'beat' my followers or look better than them but that I felt more like it was the effort that was important. I posted pictures of my notes, my desk and my coffee and every time I did so I received a wave of encouragement to keep going. The motivation was awesome and it totally took the edge off the isolation that studying for hours can often bring.

It was this little bit of social-interaction that pushed me to spend the extra few hours of study that I wouldn't have otherwise put it. The people I met and interact with also helped meto gain a new perspective on my work. One that I'd like to share with you all.


Exams are truly great opportunities;

What other chance do we get to spend hours in bed, lazing about in sweat pants and eating two minute noodles without anyone looking at us strangely?

Exactly. Never.

In all honesty, there is a plus side to exams and I must give credit to university teacher because I didn't think of it by myself.

As a student in the thick of exams for both high school and university, it's hard to not always be complaining the hours I spend studying. However, rather then patting me on the head my teacher told me I should ask for more exams and less time to prepare.

I was obviously horrified 'no!' I exclaimed, 'you don't understand, exams are /hard.'/ Yet this only seemed to prove her point as she went on to explain that employers don't want employees that take time to finish work. Employees, particularly lawyers, need to be able to work hard and fast and provide a piece of work that is presentable to a client.

As painful as it is to admit, this means that exams really are relevant for your future career. It's easy to understand that in the real work-life, there's no time for proof reading, asking a friend and handing it up to the teacher. The real world is a hard and fast paced race track and those of us who can't jump to attention get left by the wayside.

It begs the question, is this what we should be trained for? The majority of us will work for someone at some point in our lives and our level of employ-ability is the most important quality that we can offer to any potential law firm.

In Australia, why are we so focused on making education fun and attractive; when it should be making it practical and applicable for a future in the work force. Surely it's up to the students to find outlets like tumblr to make their education fun and not the role of an educator. It seems almost like we're jeopardizing our education standards in order to make things easier.

So often Australians – and I'm sure other countries too – allow themselves to run away with misery. We sulk over things that are actually great opportunities and we make fun of qualities that are traditionally 'uncool'.

For example I love the law, and it so happens that I enjoy reading legislation. This is 1000% not what the general populace consider an enjoyable activity and often in conversations I will make some joke at my own expense.

But why is this so wrong?

Essentially it's wrong because it perpetuates a society that wants everything to be easy.

Exams are hard, so we don't like them, being different is hard so we make fun of it. Yet in the work life our employ-ability is boosted by our individuality. So why do we not encourage individuals to take the difficult route find what makes them unique and work hard to build on their skills and qualities.

We've created a society that's so desperate to appear successful we've forgotten that the biggest step to success is hard work. No one becomes an instant success. Even those with raw talent must to things that are difficult and unfavorable in order to succeed.

Pre-law students, law students, young lawyers and everyone in between and outside of those categories, take an oath today to take the hard route. Allow yourself to struggle, give your mind permission to fail but don't let it overtake your life. Change your perspective to rejoice when you're working hard – because when it gets the hardest is right when you're about to succeed.

Love,


The Underage Lawyer

No comments:

Post a Comment